FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
To our Commentary and News Release List™
Friday, December 13, 1996
For Immediate Release;
Contact Robert Colaco at (818)757-1776
FORMAL COMPLAINT BEING FILED
Today, Citizens For A Better America, is announcing that it is filing a FORMAL COMPLAINT against the Registrar of Voters for Santa Barbara County, California, Mr. Kenneth A. Pettit. The following was sent:
On behalf of our members in Santa Barbara County and the Citizens of Santa Barbara County, California and the United States of America.
We take this action with a heaviness of heart and not lightly.
We have on file a 14 page complaint from various voters, precinct and poll watchers from Santa Barbara County who have testified on paper that there have been serious irregularities and potential voter fraud during the November 5, 1996 election in
Santa Barbara under the direct administration of Registrar of Voters Mr. Kenneth A. Pettit.
Some of the most serious of those allegations are as follows:
1. As reported in the Santa Barbara media, there were over 1,700 provisional ballots in the whole county and that approximately 1/2 of those ballots came from three (3) precincts voting in one location at the University of California at Santa Barbara
(UCSB). This was a disproportional amount of provisional ballots. Those who were at the location at University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB) witnessed the unusually large number of students who could not remember where they had registered to
vote, and who were given provisional ballots. So many provisional ballots were requested that they ran out of the pink envelopes and had to start using blue ones.
2. That precinct workers were overwhelmed by the large number of students voting and the large number who were not on their lists. Registrar of Voters Pettit was at the university and witnesses heard him tell poll workers to give out provisional
ballots upon request or upon the insistence by the individual that they be allowed to vote and that “their right to vote would be sorted out downtown”. These instructions were given at approximately 9 am, from 7 am to 9 am only two (2) provisional
ballots were issued.
3. In addition witnesses saw poll workers drop provisional ballots into the voting boxes without their envelope (which distinguishes them as provisional) attached to them. The envelope was to designate that the ballot was in fact provisional in
nature, and had their name and other needed data on them. Without the envelope those provisional ballots were not distinguished from the ballots of confirmed registered voters. It is our accusation that those votes were counted without being verified at
the Registrar’s Headquarters, without being verified that those people voting were actually registered to vote, and registered to vote at that precinct.
4. Witnesses also saw spoiled ballots that were marked spoiled only on the top portion and not on the hole punch section of the ballot. These were left out where any one could take them. Later it was observed that individuals were turning in ballots
without the gray ballot holders. The question must be asked, “Could some of these be stolen spoiled ballots being punch and turned in as real ballots?” It was repeatedly observed that the poll workers were overwhelmed with people wanting to vote.
5. It was also observed that those given provisional ballots did not always sign in at the back of the precinct book. The poll workers were notified of these observances but only reacted with hostility and none of the problems were corrected.
Our members are always anxious about voter fraud. As the National Chairman and Founder of Citizens For A Better America, I am constantly reassuring them after each time I check in to the facts that the system is safe and secure. In this case I could
not do that, every safeguard was violated. Congessman Bill Dannemeyer upon his review of the 14 page complaint said “this is gross negilegence and malfeasance and Pettit should be immediately removed by the Grand Jury of Santa Barbara County. It should
be noted that at one time Congressman Dannemeyer, himself served as District Attorney of Santa Barbara County.” I too am deeply disturbed by what was observed and we at Citizens For A Better America call on every government body that has jurisdiction
over any of these matters to look very carefully at these allegations and to report back to myself and the Citizenry that these things are going to be severely dealt with to the fullest extent of the law.
National Chairman and Founder
cc: Santa Barbara County Grand Jury, Santa Barbara County District Attorney, Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors, California Secretary of State, California Attorney General, California Governor, US Attorney General, and other interested parties.
© copyright 1996 Citizens For A Better America ® (CFABA.org)
Publisher of the Have You Been Lied To? ™ Flyer
Robert Colaco, National Chairman, Founder.
F.E.C. ID #C00278333